We talk a lot about being led by the Lord, but today I’d like to look specifically at where God will lead us. He won’t lead us just anywhere, but there are at least seven characteristics of the places where the Lord will lead us. Let’s reflect on these lessons from the book of Psalms:
- “Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies; Make Your way straight before my face.” –Psalm 5:8
God will lead you to a place a righteousness. In other words, He’ll lead you to do the “right” thing. Only when you’re following God can you truly be in the right place at the right time. Even when you have questions and uncertainties, He’ll help you to “get it right.” When you seek the Lord, He’ll make the right path “straight” or “plain” before your eyes.
- “He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.” -Psalm 23:2
The Lord will lead you “beside still waters” to a place of perfect peace. Even when things are troubling on the outside, God can give you a sense of inner peace, fulfillment, and satisfaction that no one else and nothing else can provide.
- “Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day.” –Psalm 25:5
The Lord will lead you to a place of truth. In an ever-changing world, the truth of God’s Word brings certainty you can build your life on. We should seek truth, be moved by truth, and build our lives on truth. We can’t focus on the circumstances or results we see with our eyes; we must focus on the truth God speaks to our heart.
- “Lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.” –Psalm 27:11
The Lord will lead you in a smooth, even, level path. He doesn’t want your life to be like a roller coaster that’s up one moment and down the next! He can help you to be level-headed and even keeled despite the situations you may experience. You don’t have to be knocked around by changing circumstances, but you can be secure in Jesus!
- “Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your tabernacle.” -Psalm 43:3
God will lead you to a place of fellowship with Him. In the Old Testament, the “holy hill” and the “tabernacle” represented the special place God met with His people. He still wants to meet with us today! Since Jesus has given us direct access to His presence, our fellowship with the Lord is even more special today. Our times of prayer, worship, and communion with God serve as a sanctuary from the stresses and challenges of everyday life. Oh, how we need His presence!
- “When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” –Psalm 61:2b
Jesus is our firm foundation, and He will always lead us to a place of strength and stability. When we feel overwhelmed, our natural tendency is to look down, stoop down, or fall down. But Jesus wants us to look up to higher ground. We’ll only find supernatural strength when we look up beyond ourselves to Jesus, our rock and salvation.
- “Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” –Psalm 139:23-24
God views things with an eternal perspective, and we should as well. That’s why He wants to lead us in “the way everlasting.” Don’t live for short-term gratification, but live to make an eternal impact. The apostle Paul wrote, “All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally” (1 Corinthians 9:25, MSG).
Reflect on these qualities of the places God will lead you. Follow Him closely, and expect to experience His righteousness, peace, and truth. You’ll walk in a smooth, even path and enjoy His fellowship. As you look up for His strength, He’ll help you to make an eternal difference!